Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Paging Dr. Matthews to ER, stat!"

So the week started off pretty mild. Zeke had a good day Monday with no major incidents. Tuesday I asked him how his day went and he said, "Well, kind of good and kind of bad." I said, "Tell me about the good part first." His response? "I didn't get in trouble for the rest of the day!" Me..."Okay, so tell me about the not so good part." "Well, on the way back from Computers, I was playing with (little girls) hair, and she didn't want me to, so she turned around and punched me!" I told him that if he kept his hands to himself she wouldn't need to punch him!

Wednesday I dropped Isaiah off at Margaret's for a few hrs so I could work on Silent Auction stuff at the school after I dropped Zeke off. In the rush to get Zeke in with book bag and lunch box as well as all the stuff I needed, I left my phone in the front seat of the van. I was working on emails when the school phone rang, but the secretary was already on one line, so I answered. It was Margaret and I could hear Isaiah screaming in the background. She said that he had had an accident and his finger got smashed in a cabinet and the tip was just barely hanging on. I rushed over there, and she wasn't kidding. His right index finger tip had been nearly severed from the cuticle and ripped back like the top of a pop can, and was literally hanging by a centimeter of skin. And of course there was blood everywhere and I felt so bad for Margaret. I just gave her a hug before we left and told her I would call and update her. I had already called Adam to meet me at the ER and Isaiah and I headed that way. I held him on my lap because I was afraid to put him in the back by himself and have him tear the tip the rest of the way off. I also called the ER and let them know we were on our way so we could just walk in, which we did. I was so glad to see "Grandma Jackie" there. She was a very good friend of my mom's, is a good friend of mine and an awesome nurse! Dr. Matthews came in right away and we got Isaiah situated in the papoose (which I think was more traumatic than the procedure itself) and Dr. started sewing. He lost his nail completely and has two dissolving stitches in the nail bed and 5 regular stitches around the outside of his little finger. They ordered x-rays to rule out bone involvement and they looked good as far as that was concerned. He came home, ate lunch, took his medicine and went to sleep for 2 1/2 hours. Poor baby!

This morning went pretty well, he slept good and we got him to Margeret's and she was happy to see him. Her husband fixed the cabinet so the doors can't be opened at all so hopefully something like this won't happen again. Just an accident between two boys under the age of 18 months. I totally see how it happened. Isaiah was standing there and got his little finger worked in on the hinge side and the other little boy shut the door and it latched. It stinks, but it happens. In fact, Dr. Matthews said "Children tolerate this type of injury pretty well." Hmmm, I guess Isaiah wasn't his first case like this!

Isaiah turns 1 tomorrow. I bought him a little onesie that says "Birthday Boy" and I can't wait to put it on him in the morning. We are spending the day together starting with a trip to Dr. Golightly for a follow-up from his ER visit as well as his well-child check! Then we are going to visit Grandma Jackie and show her new Mary Kay stuff.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment