Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hello, old friend!

And by old, I don't mean old like ancient. I mean old like friends since the dawn of time old!

That is how I kind of started my day. I actually started it by running late because my bed was warm and I didn't want to get out of it. Then Zeke was in slow motion and Isaiah just wanted to be held. We finally got downstairs only to find that the van was encased in a thin layer of ice, WONDERFUL! It was too cold to stand out there and scrape so I threw on the defrost, came back inside and called school to let them know that Zeke would be a little late. Great, today is the 100th day of school and that is a huge deal in Kindergarten and my kid is going to be late....again!

Kids dropped off....despite the slicker than snot roads....and I am back home to get ready for the day. I check my twitter and see that my "old" friend has posted something about pulling out all her hair and I think, "Jodie needs to hear from me!" You see, Jodie and I have have been friends since 1st Grade. I can't tell you how many hours we spent at each others house although I can tell you I spent more time at her house then she did at mine (I had a bratty younger sister and brother and she didn't!). By the time we were in 5th grade we were inseperable and remained that way until high school. We have always been very different, she the petite blonde and me the amazon brunette. She the smart girl, me the funny one. She the one who always had a boyfriend, me the one who always had friends who were boys. But somehow through it all we remained friends. Through a series of interesting events (I'll spare you the details) we found ourselves in Abnormal Psychology together. It was her last year of College...not mine because it took me 7 years to get done! Fast forward several years and she is my maid of honor...then a few more years and I am hers! She is the Godmother to my children and I am to hers and it doesn't seem to matter if we go months without talking, we can always pick right up like we see each other every day!

Jodie and her husband are both Pediatric Dentists in the Navy and will be getting out in August. They are working on setting up practice in Lee's Summit (hence the pulling out of her hair) and we will be within 2 hours of each other for the first time in over 6 years! This includes the 3 years she was stationed in Japan!

When my mom died unexpectedly in April of 2006 (Jodie had just been home with her husband and daughter in March) I had a hard time finding her. Momma Ruth (Jodie's mom) was able to help because Jodie and Glynn were housesitting for friends and weren't at their normal phone number. By the time Jodie called we were at the funeral home picking out a casket and mom had been gone for about 12 hours. When I answered all she said was "I'm coming home!" I tried to talk her out of it because I knew it was expensive and she didn't have much leave time built back up. She knew I would do that so she conveniently waited to call me until she had already booked her flight. I can't tell you how much that meant to me for her to do that. I don't know that I would have made it through that ordeal nearly as well as I did if it hadn't been for her.

So that's our friendship in a nutshell. I can't wait for them to be back in Missouri. The boys miss their "aunt" Jodie and I miss her kiddos, Maddie and Brady, as well. Plus the boys will have a new dentist and Jodie plans on taking Fridays off so we will definitely be able to spend more time together!

Make new friends,
But keep the old,
One is Silver,
And the others Gold!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog! This post in particular, it makes me look so good! (hardy har har) Love you and miss you Carrots! Give those boys a kiss and a snuggle for me!

    ReplyDelete